How to Register Your Child
Generally, parents should go directly to the neighborhood school to register their child. If you do not know which school that is, you can enter your home address on the school boundaries page or consult our apartment to school list. You may also contact the Transportation Department at (253) 945-5960.
Most elementary schools are open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but this varies somewhat at a few of our schools. It’s always wise to call the school before you go to ask what a good time to register your child would be.
When you enroll your child in Federal Way Schools, you’ll be asked to complete several forms and to bring some additional information. Many forms listed below can be downloaded and printed, so you spend less time filling out paperwork while at the school.
What you’ll need to bring with you if your child is new to the district:
- An original birth certificate or one of the following: certified copy of birth certificate, hospital certificate signed by attending physician, baptismal certificate, or passport.
The official document is required. To get an official birth certificate for your child, contact the vital statistic records office in the county your child was born in, or go to http://www.usbirthcertificate.com.
- Your child’s immunization records. You’ll need these to complete the Certificate of Immunization Status Form. This form must be completed in person at your school.
- Proof of residency to show you live in the service area for that school. For example, a rental agreement, a utility bill from your current residence, or your driver’s license if it shows your current address.
Forms you will be asked to complete:
- Enrollment & Registration Form - Number 203 (784K PDF)
- Please make sure that the application is completed on both sides
- Remember to include the Parent Signature and Date.
- Student (Discipline) History Information (61K PDF) Number 0203-a
- Only when changing schools or districts
- Emergency Information Card -- Number 201 (Not available for download – must be obtained from the school). Please fill out completely. This will allow the school or district to reach you in emergency situations. The form will become part of your student’s permanent record.
- Home Language Survey Form (Available only at the school)
- This information is required of all students, including students who speak English as a first language. You can get the Home Language Survey Form (in multiple languages) at your child’s school.
- Student Health Report (95K PDF) Number 0420
- SIDE ONE should be filled out.
- SIDE TWO is not MANDATORY. If the parent decides not to take the child to a physician, there is a waiver at the bottom to sign.
- Release of Directory Information FERPA Number 206 (Yearly)
- Should be filled out and returned to school ONLY if you with to prohibit or restrict the sharing of some or all of your students’ information as described by the Federal law known as FERPA.
- User Agreement & Parent Permission (to use Electronic Information System) Number 213-A
- Should be completed and returned each year
Schools often have individualized forms that parents are asked to complete. The above list is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all forms from all schools – but it covers the majority of forms required across the district.